For a while, many people weren’t interested in a formal dining room and even converted their dining rooms into libraries, billiard rooms or offices. Today the dining room is back! Most homeowners want to create a beautiful setting for dining experiences with their family and friends.
A dining room is about fashion and function. Function is key, but at the same time the dining room is about so much more than just eating a meal. It’s about the experience and the ambiance people feel when they dine in your home.
Consider how you use your dining room before choosing the décor and furniture. Your table is the anchor of your room, and the chairs are key. These are long term investments that you’ll have forever if you purchase high quality. And don’t forget a sideboard or china cabinet to store dishes, silverware and linens close at hand.
- Think about whether you need a table with leaves if you plan to entertain a crowd.
- Make sure the chairs are comfortable and the right height for the table.
- Change the look of your table with linens and table settings, and the look of your chairs with slip covers.
- Add interest to your walls with wallpaper, an accent painted wall or wainscoting.
- Use mirrors to make the room seem larger.
- Plan for beautiful lighting, including a chandelier, and even wall sconces or buffet lamps.
- Add window coverings that provide both beauty and function, especially when the late afternoon sun is streaming in.
- And, of course, decorate your dining room for the holidays for added cheer.