Minimalism is a streamlined and organized look that makes you feel calm and relaxed. But don’t worry; a minimalist interior isn’t entirely bare! It still includes beautiful furniture, flooring, window fashions and artwork. Within the idea of minimalism, there are lots of choices of your look too, from beachy vibe to Asian zen to high-style sophisticated.
Some people think the best thing about minimalist décor is that you have to get rid of the clutter! That’s why cabinets, closets and other out-of-sight storage are key. And minimalist décor is easier to clean since there are fewer elements to dust, mop and vacuum.
Minimalist colors are usually muted and monochromatic. White is the most common color for minimalism, but you can also use soft earth tones like beige, taupe, tan and gray. In minimalism, a variation in texture usually takes the place of a variation in color.
Use these tips to create a minimalist style in your home:
- Make one element the focal point in a room, then the other pieces can support it.
- Have mostly clear surfaces, with very few, well-selected décor items atop tables and floors, such as one sculpture or one vase of flowers or one photo of your family.
- Hang a limited number of pieces of artwork on walls. Leave some walls without artwork, and the art you have will stand out even more.
- Almost always use solid colors, not patterns. Then use textures to create the visual interest in a room.
- Use calming colors for furniture, flooring, window coverings and bed linens.
- Start by making just one room in your house minimalist and simple to make sure you like the minimalist style.